Link to Google Classroom for class announcements.
AP Calculus BC is a continuation of the topics covered in AP Calculus AB. Taking these 2 AP Calculus courses is the equivalent of completing a two-sememster sequence of Calculus I and II at the university level. New topics for this year include Parametric and Polar Equations, Methods of Integration, Differential Equations, Taylor Polynomials, and Infinite Series.
At the end of the three-trimester sequence of AP Calculus AB:
- Students will be able to solve problems that are similar to types of questions that are asked on the AP test.
- Students will be able to apply Calculus skills to solve a variety of theoretical and applied problems.
- Students will be able to recognize the skills that are necessary to solve a given problem and interpret the results of the calculations they do.
- Students will be able to effectively communicate their understanding of concepts verbally to describe problem scenarios and chosen problem-solving methods as well as justify solutions. Students will demonstrate correct mathematical notation and terminology when writing.
- Students will be able to use critical thinking and prior mathematical concepts to gain insight into Calculus concepts.
- Students will be able to use collaboration to solve problems, discuss ideas, and answer questions from their peers.
- Individually and in groups, students will be able to write mathematical functions and differential equations to model situations described verbally and/or graphically.
- Students will be able to assess the reasonableness of models and solutions. Students will be able to improve solution processes through reflection and successive refinement.
- Students will be able to use technology, when appropriate, to solve problems. Techniques to be implemented using technology include Euler’s method, creating slope fields, and numerical integration.
Trimester grades will be computed as follows:
Other Graded Work: 50%
Class Participation and Effort: 5%
Course Final Grade will be computed as follows:
Trimesters 1, 2, and 3: 25% each
Final Project: 10%